Friday, February 17, 2012

Photo Friday #4.........

Do you want to improve your photographpy??  Of course you do!  Then it's time to suck it up, and have your work critiqued!  If you are like me....a complete photo newbie.....scared to death of someone saying your pictures completely suck.....then feel free to stay inside your comfort zone and start with evaluating your photos yourself.  That's our exercise for today!  You get to watch me critique myself!!  fun huh??

It's very important as a learning photographer to study your pictures.  Figure out what you like about them, and what you don't.  Review the settings.... is the picture too dark, out of focus, is the composition off, was the shutter speed too slow, is the depth of field what you were going for??  The only way to get better is by taking a step back and learning from your mistakes.  Today I have gathered a handful of pictures that have been shot in the last two months.  Some were taken in Auto, others in Manual.  I'm going to examine each one and figure out how next time I could make that type of shot better.....Today's theme.....

All in the Detail.....
Details are what make a memory special.  It's looking beyond playing at the playground or cooking with daddy.  It's taking a minute to identify that one special piece of the puzzle that you never want to forget.... 



Holding on as tight as you can to the playground swing!  I never want to forget those tiny fingers!

ISO 200, 1/200sec at f/3.5, 50mm 1.4 lens
love the shot, love how it's cropped, beautiful bokeh... however, I wish I had focused on her fingers rather than the metal  swing.




Don't you love how toddlers think....Use the crayons to draw??!!  I don't think so!!  It's way more fun to stick them in the spiral binding......

ISO 900, 1/30sec at f/2.8, 50mm 1.4 lens
love the vibrant colors, love the use of "lines".....I wish the ISO had been lower....I can see a little bit of noise in this picture.  Next time I'll make sure we are closer to a window.




Rise and shine.....

ISO 1100, 1/30sec at f/2.8, 50mm 1.4 lens
Love the natural pose, Love that you can only see one eye, Love that she is staring right into my lens.....Again, I wish the ISO had been lower....1100 is a bit high!!  



Is the milk good??

ISO 800, 1/125sec at f/1.8, 50mm 1.4 lens
Love the clarity of this picture, love that it is right in the moment!  The white balance is a little off, and if she were turned just slightly the lighting in the picture would have been better.  I'm still learning how to "find the light"......




Like daddy, Like daughter.....

ISO 320, 1/125sec at f/2.8, 50mm 1.4 lens
Love the BW, love the use of lines, love that I captured that exact moment (toddlers are quick)  This was an afternoon shot, so the light was extremely harsh on both of their faces.  The only way to recover was to post process in a BW.  



Always sit like a lady....

ISO 400, 1/100sec at f/5.0, 50mm 1.4 lens
Love the crop, love the bokeh, and I love the shoes!  :)  White balance and color both look a little off here......One day I will figure out to correctly post process images!!  :)



Can't forget about the baby.....

ISO 450, 1/60sec at f/4.0, 50mm 1.4 lens
love the color, love the bokeh.....I think I should have stepped back a little before snapping.....I tend to be a "lap photographer"  



Always keep your balance.....

ISO 200, 1/1000sec at f/1.4, 50mm 1.4 lens
love the crop, love the lines, love water reflections......again....maybe I should have taken a step back...




One step at a time.....

ISO 800, 1/60sec at f/1.6, 50mm 1.4 lens
Love the action shot, love the snow boots.....I think the shutter speed should have been faster....There is a little too much blur......



Gotta save that first curl.......

ISO 800, 1/80sec at f/4.5, 50mm 1.4 lens
I love how this one image tells a whole story! The first hair cut.... The lighting wasn't great so BW to the rescue!  I think the shutter speed should have been faster (too much blur in the stylists hands)...and does she even have a forehead??!!!  TAKE A STEP BACK FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!!  If I take only one thing away from this exercise, it should be that!!



Never leave the baby and bottle behind......

ISO 400, 1/125sec at f/5.6, 50mm 1.4 lens
Again, I love how this image tells a story.  With Jules in the background, you can clearly see she never lets her baby or bottles out of sight!!  Good use of lines, and love composition.....Lighting was pretty harsh, I was trying to go for the "golden light" look....don't think it worked out too well.....



Little mommy.......

ISO 800, 1/60sec at f/4.0, 50mm 1.4 lens
good composition....harsh shadows.....



As Julia hugs her bunny, Great-Granddaddy watches from behind......

ISO 1250, 1/30sec at f/2.8, 50mm 1.4 lens
Great story told through one shot, great BW...ISO a little high...too much noise in the foreground....



Dress up with Mommy's jeans.....

ISO 800, 1/60sec at f/2.8, 50mm 1.4 lens
great close up, good composition....white balance and color a little off

So what did you think of my first critique??  Was I hard enough on myself?  I think it was a good starting point.  Maybe next time I'll let you guys critique...

I think our tip for the day is pretty obvious....Study your photos!!  I'm pretty sure all DSLR cameras record your settings....(ISO, fstops, exposure)  If you are using Lightroom to post process....once you import your pictures all of the camera settings are tagged with each picture!!  

I hope you enjoyed the exercise, and I will see you next week!!


....sharing with Sweet Shot Tuesdays and Show off your Shot.....

9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! These are great...I love the swing picture of her feet :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I admire you so much for stepping out of your "comfort" zone! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica these are amazing. Love the picture with Jules and her Great-granddaddy. His face brings back many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea! This is definitely something that I should do too. As someone who loves taking pictures and has done some darkroom work, I actually know so very little about photography (and have forgotten a lot)! Thanks for sharing your critique... your photos are beautiful! The one with Great-Granddaddy brought tears to my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess, what beautiful photos! If anything I thought you were a bit harsh on yourself. My favourites are the ones of Julia and her Great-Grandfather (he does not look old enough!) and of her haircut - so moving.
    It's extremely useful for those of us also learning (although I'm way behind you!) to see what settings you used and the impact that has had on the photos. Thank you! Gina

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all great... it is good to critic yourself - but remember not to be too harsh. The memories captured are the most important thing. You did that in every single photo. Telling wonderful stories. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos make cherished memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure wish my b&w's looked liked yours! I think they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos! And what a great idea to critque yourself this way. I'll have to start doing more sit-down evaluation of my photos. Maybe I'll do them on my blog - when I'm brave enough. ;)

    Great work. LOVE the one with great grandpa! <3

    ReplyDelete