Monday, June 27, 2011

Chalkboard Paint!!!.....where have you been all my life???

Chalkboard paint seems to be the new thing these days, and because I REFUSE to be left out, I have decided to join the fun!!   I have learned that you can literally apply chalkboard paint to any surface!  For Example.....

Here we have a picture frame, a globe, and (who would have thought) A room divider!!



This is a door, turned sideways!!  They painted the recessed panels with the chalkboard paint!!  How creative!!  I love that it is displayed as a piece of art but still has important function!!  



Here they have taken a WHOLE wall, and painted it with chalkboard paint!!!  This would be a little kid's dream!!!


Now that I've gotten you all worked up with chalkboard possibilities, we are taking it a notch down.....For today's project, I have decided to start small!  I wanted to make something that both Julia and I could enjoy!...I have decided to create chalkboard building blocks, with a side of decoupage!!  :)  I always like to give my projects a little twist!!  (Here is a sneak peak of the end result)......


Supplies for this project.....blocks, chalkboard paint, chalk, scrapbook paper, and modpodge.

Step ONE:  Find your blocks!  I was walking through T J Max one day and found these on the clearance rack.  ($2.00 - I couldn't pass up that deal)



Step TWO:   Paint the blocks with your chalkboard paint......
I had a do a few layers to cover up the letters that were already on the blocks, but no worries, the paint dries really fast!


Step THREE:  Decoupage scrapbook paper onto one side of each block!  Feel free to do more if you want!  I simply tore out a square of scrapbook paper and used the modpodge to glue it down.  I then put a thin layer of modpodge over the top to seal it well!

The scrapbook paper adds just enough interest, so you don't have just plain 'ol solid color blocks!


And that's it!!!......Now it's time to put these to good use!!  First, I let Jules have her fun...

look at that concentration!!!  I love it!




lets see how high we can stack them, then draw on them!! 





You can use them as learning tools......




or, just for cute sayings......




this is my personal favorite!!  :)




Now, with a lot of convincing (fingers crossed,) maybe this could be my next project........

An entire playroom!!! ohhhh...Jules would love it!!!  (I think I would love it more!!)   Now, I know this is quite a leap from building blocks to an entire playroom...but who knows...maybe Daddy K will go for it!!  :)


What interesting things have you created with Chalkboard paint lately.....??


(To see the parties I'm linking up to go here.....)



30 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and am your newest follower. I love all the chalkboard ideas. I totally want to paint plastic pumpkins with chalkboard paint this Fall!! Thanks for leaving me totally inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandy! chalkboard painted pumpkins are a great idea!!! I'm so gonna do that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog- I wanted to come check yours out and you had me at "chalkboard paint" OH YES how I love it!!! :) I love all these ideas! Really love the room divider- I would have never thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps- and I really like your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are all really great ideas!! I have been wanting to try a chalkboard paint project for a while but wasn't sure what to do, these ideas are so helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. you and your daughter are absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a GREAT idea!! I have three little grandsons spending the whole summer with me in Nova Scotia...have bookmarked this as a rainy day craft to do with them THANKS for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!! It was a very simple project!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. realy nice project. You are right, chalkboard paint is everywhere nowadays. I actually have some in my closet...hmmdo I have a project? Thank you for sharing. ps here in Germany we also have colored chalkboard paint - do u guys too?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving all the chalkboard ideas. your blocks are adorable! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! Love the blocks. Following from Not Just a Housewife. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. The most view link will receive a set of fancy rectangle chalkboard labels from my etsy shop. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! I've been collecting things I can spray paint with the chalkboard paint before I go buy it!! Thanks for all the inspiration and THANK YOU so much for linking up to Help a Momma Out Tuesday!! We appreciate it!! This was a wonderful perfect link up for Momma's :)

    Kristine
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jess, what a tremendous collection of chalk board projects. They all look amazing and the blocks look like a ton of fun. Great job and thank you so much for using Rust-Oleum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm becoming increasingly obsessed with chalkboard paint. A wall in the babes' room is in the works and in the meantime I've done a message/calendar board, a children's table and a compliments' wall in our staff washroom.

    Is there a 12 step program for this?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so much fun, isn't it? I've only done one project so far but I'm ready to do another one. I think a door is next! I'm not brave enough to do an entire wall. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your chalkboard blocks are awesome. And your little sweetheart playing with them is precious! She sure is having a great time.

    So nice stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your love of chalboard paint. I have been wanting to try it out but just havent yet and you have totally inspired me. I love the blocks idea. Thank you so much for sharing I found your cute kid craft idea through the Paisley passions linky party and just had to stop by. I am your newest follower and cant wait to check more of your blog out. Come and visit me and say hi and please follow back :)

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE your blocks! Both of our children have chalkboard paint on one of the doors of their built in wardrobes. They are really really popular and keep them out of trouble for HOURS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such cute inspiration to share with the party today. Glad you found it. I host a newbie party every Monday and hope to see you then. This magazine challenge party was a last minute thought, and hopefully I will plan on doing this monthly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blocks were a great idea as evidenced by the photo of your daughter playing with them. I also loved that photo of a door turned sideways and used as an organizer. I made a chalkboard in my kitchen about 2 years ago and I still love it. I'm a retired teacher, so I had to have a chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute and creative idea! Good deal on $2 for the blocks, too. And wow, that last chalkboard photo of the room is amazing. Thanks for sharing! ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am a new follower as well - love this post and so glad to have found you through Amanda's linky party! Will be back to visit often. xoxo michele

    ReplyDelete
  23. you commented on my Flower pillow today so i checked out your blog and i LOVE LOVE LOVE this block idea!!! I'm always looking for toys for the little guy at home. Thanks for commenting on my blog and i hope you visit again soon

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE the blocks! These are genius! Thank you for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy! We hope you will join us tomorrow for another fun-filled party!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What great ideas! I love the door one, it would be perfect for an office! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is lovely! I am a big fan of chalkboard paint myself. Your blocks are gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving that chalkboard playroom! Can you imagine?? So fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, Jess! I'm admiring all your creative posts here. Can you please share them at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the chalkboard building blocks. A fun activity including some learning. Easy and fun to make. Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete